The first informations we have about
the Chateau de la Commanderie are from 1259, under the name of
“maladrery de la Levade”. It was about a leper-house of Templiers.In
1311, Templiers were dissolved by the council of Vienna, then by the
Pope in 1312. Their properties were supposed to be transfered to the
Order of St Jean of Jerusalem, which will become “order of the
knights of Malta”, but, with the removal of the templiers, the "dauphin"
Jean II seized the Commanderie.
After the leaving of leprous, Commanderie will belong to the
ordinary agricultural management of the commanders of Echirolles. It
seem that the castle was then sold, in the XVIéme, because we don't
find any more informations in the official reports of the visitors
of Malta Order, and it was registered in the inventory of the
national properties of the religious orders during the French
In 1808, the castle was the property of Mr. Joseph DASTIER, then of
the family BRUN beer brewer in Grenoble, and natural owner of the
“refrigerators of La Frise”, where they stored their beers. It is
this family which added one more floor above the dining room,
restored the roofs, addes a new part on the right side of the castle,...
in order to make it more comfortable. We can still see two original
loopholes which were to defend the access of the castle, as well as
a sarcophagus whose origin is still a mystery.